Complementary and Alternative Medicine Questions
Write a short (50-100-word) paragraph response for each question posed below. Submit this assignment as a Microsoft Word document.
- Define CAM.
- Describe the patient who uses CAM the most.
- List some common misconceptions about CAM.
- Identify methods of including the use of CAM in patient education.
- Discuss the safe use of CAM.
- List ways in which conventional medicine and CAM can be integrated.
- Define ethical theories, ethical principles, and values.
- Provide examples of ethical issues in patient education and compliance, and describe ways in which an effective professional/patient relationship and a poor health professional/patient relationship can impact these issues.
- Explain what is meant by “ethical patient education practices”.
- Explain the purpose of informed consent.
- Discuss what factors determine the patient’s ability to give informed consent.
- Compose a sample informed consent form. .
- Discuss the process of communication to use with the patient and the family when obtaining informed consent.
The teachers rubrics for how she wants the homework topic 5 to be
- Created short paragraph (50-100 word minimum) response for each question and addressed each part of the question. (the question does not count toward the word count) – 10 points
- Substance: Demonstrated accuracy, thoughtful detail and intelligence with each answer and was written in own words and had original thought. -10 pts
- Critical thinking: Original Examples are provided to explain answer. (Example:) Student has original and critical thinking:-10 pts
- Created APA formatted document.
- Included APA title page. 1/
- Included APA in-text citations – 5/
- APA reference page at the end. –3 pts/ 9 points total
- Homework has questions written out, numbered and are in order. ( See student Success center for details on APA formatting) – 1 point
1) Define CAM.
CAM stands for complementary and alternative medicine. CAM consists of many different therapies and treatments that are used to prevent and treat illness and disease. These methods are not typically taught in Medical school or practiced by Western medical doctors. Various practices use natural methods or substances to promote the body to heal or stay in harmony. The mind body and spirit of a person are brought into the equation of healing. (Falvo, pp.210-211, 2004)
Critical thinking:(LABEL THIS)
For example, Chiropractic, homeopathy, naturopathy, yoga, meditation and energy fields are some of the therapies used in CAM. I had a patient with diabetes and used to also get nutritional work completed by a Chiropractor that helped to control his blood sugar.
Please include both your research from your readings and critical thinking/ examples.