Wk 3 510 course
Week 3 Discussion Prompt 2
Describe a type of health care spending that you consider wasteful or services that you consider have little or no benefit. Explain why you find the spending wasteful, and if eliminated, what impact it may have on the American public.
Week 3 Discussion Prompt 1
Identify three components of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act that went into effect in 2014 and discuss their impact or potential impact on the practice of nursing and medicine. Be specific as to what the provision states, who it affects, and the impact that it may have.
1. Public Policy Meeting Assignment
Submit a 3-4 page summary paper on the public policy meeting. Include headings in your paper that address these components:
· The purpose of the meeting, key participants, key agenda items, and meeting logistics
· Background information and a description about the committee
· One specific topic that was discussed at the meeting and an explanation of the committee process
· An analysis of the key stakeholder positions related to the topic discussed
· Key interactions that occurred at the meeting
· Outcomes of the meeting including the specific topic focus
· APA format (6th ed.), proper grammar, and references as appropriate
Due 521 course
The following questions refer to your experience in this week’s exercise, Conducting Moral and Ethical Dialog in Clinical Practice. Describe your overall experience with the moral and ethical dialog exercise, and address at least three (3) of the following:
· Did you find any of the scenarios more difficult to deal with than others?
· Did you feel any internal conflict with any of the scenarios?
· How did your personal and professional background impact how you decided to interact with the patient?
· Do you feel the responses the patient gave to the practitioner’s response were reasonable or typical?
· Were you taken aback by any of the patient reactions?
· How might this activity contribute to your role as a nurse advocate in a moral and ethical practice?
· Did you utilize an ethical decision making model to explore a systematic way to evaluate any of these ethical dilemmas? If so, describe the effectiveness.
Discuss the potential controversy when considering a patient’s right to know whether a caregiver has AIDS, and the caregiver’s right to privacy and confidentiality.
Consider the following: A physician cut his hand with a scalpel while he was assisting another physician. Because of the uncertainty that blood had been transferred from the physician’s hand wound to the patient through an open surgical incision, he agreed to have a blood test for HIV. His blood tested positive for HIV and he withdrew himself from participation in further surgical procedures. Discuss the ethical and legal issues.
· Choose a case from the AMA Journal of Ethics Case Index and take a position. For this assignment you will evaluate the ethical arguments for or against the issue. Identify the potential legal arguments (consider current federal guidelines), indicate any potential professional code conflicts you foresee, and support your position with an explanation of your own ethical/moral foundation.
In your 2-3 page paper:
· Identify the issue and state your ethical position.
· How might this scenario play out or impact you in your role as a nurse practitioner?
· Defend your position with legal, ethical, and professional evidence.
· As part of your position, propose strategies and solutions for addressing the issues.
· What other ethical issues does this case bring to light, if any?
Support your position with at least one scholarly source (it may be your text). Be sure to cite the article you choose, use APA format, and include a title page and reference page.